Transcendent

2013/09/09

I had a conversation with a friend this last weekend about the best moments of the summer. Made me feel list-y and reflective. So I gave it some more thought in order to write down on this here little blog.

 5. Listening to bluegrass on a random Monday night at Flipnotics. This is the least self contained "moment" on my list. I say that because even though the actual moment was great, this spot is more a reflection of my general relationship to live music right now. And hanging out late nights with friends. And not having to wake up to teach in the morning. Good stuff.

4. Entering the Library of Congress. I was completely awe struck when I first walked into the rotunda. I didn't fully understand what was in store for me physically or conceptually and it was such a revelation. Supporting the beauty of this moment was my rekindled love affair with the printed word this summer - feels like home.

3. Stargazing and night swimming at Inks Lake. As I mentioned in my prior post, I was worried this whole endeavor would be a lost cause as we drove out to our campsite in the pouring rain. Thankfully the beautiful, beautiful stars graciously appeared in fully glory shortly after we set up camp. The water was perfection and the lovely company and conversation of friends made this a perfect moment.

2. The twenty minutes or so I sat transfixed by this painting. (Which is ten thousand times more amazing in person.) Or maybe it was the time I spent gaping at the collection of Rodins. Or the awe I felt standing six inches away from a DaVinci. The list goes on and on. The art museums in D.C. were for me incredibly nourishing. Nourishing in such an essential way I feel amazed that I've lived almost 37 years on the planet without visiting them before. How did I ever survive?

1. Walking into the National Cathedral. I know I went on and on about my trip to D.C. and it's various forms of breathtakingness, but this was the most grand and moving, yet spiritual and tender of all the places I saw. The architecture was amazing, the stained glass was divine, but the spirit there was transcendent. 

It was, in fact, a great summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment