The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

2013/07/26

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & ClayThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Even though this book may have been overly thick for my deficiencies in attention, the language was beautiful enough to make up for it. There were beautiful gems sprinkled solidly from start to finish. This is definitely a book I need to revisit again, I'd wager it deserves another star. The layers are thick.

What I loved:
His writing. What a mastery of language.

What I learned:
Culturally, it was interesting to consider the early days of comic books - just nothing that's ever been on my radar. Lots of interesting morsels about the characters' Jewishness to file away as well. But in a more meaty sense, the progression of the characters, in particular Joe, were heartbreaking and interesting in the way I love most. Best of educations.

A favorite passage (it is very hard to choose just a few):
Every universe, our own included, begins in conversation. ...summoned into existence through language, through murmuring, recital, and kabbalistic chitchat-- was, literally, talked into life.
...and the cool talcum smell of Shalimar she gave off was like a guardrail he could lean against.
The true magic of this broken world lay in the ability of the things it contained to vanish, to become so thoroughly lost, that they might never have existed in the first place.


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment