Cannery Row

2013/07/11

Cannery RowCannery Row by John Steinbeck
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love the characters in this book. Each one is such a careful study in humanity. I didn't know much about the book when I picked it up, and it wasn't quite what I expected, but I was thoroughly pleased with the journey.

What I learned:
Presentness. That the joys of life, and the sorrows too, come in small moments.

What I loved:
His writing. The passages are transporting and reverential in a way that is not intimidating or overly holy.

A favorite passage:
There is an amazing passage about the relationship humans have with the truth that is pretty staggering around page 100 in my copy - too long to quote here. But it ends "Doc still loved true things but he knew it was not a general love and it could be a very dangerous mistress." Staggering.


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment