The Blind Assassin

2013/06/26

The Blind AssassinThe Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am becoming a huge fan of Atwood's writing. There are just so many passages that stop me in my tracks. Great sorry telling, lots of interest in the layered plot. I was also a big fan of Iris, her failings as a human felt very personal to me. Great book.

What I loved:
The writing. Amazing prose.

What I learned:
This is the kind of book that enriches your perspective on the human experience. Empathy.

Some favorite passages:
Wild asters cluster in the garden, having rooted themselves there some time ago - tiny white ones, others bushier and sky-colored, others with rusty stems, a deeper purple. Once, in my days of desultory gardening, I would have branded them weeds and pulled them out. Now I no longer make such distinctions.

She hasn't given up hope, just folded it away: it's not for daily wear.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment