Year in Review 2012

2012/12/16

Is it the end of the world yet? The way things have been running in my head it would be entirely possible that I would have missed it. Crazy, yes. I feel like my blog has been even more self-centered than usual so let me take a moment to first recap things for the rest of my little clan.

I had made it clear to Dave that this was my year for crazy and he was on board for being the responsible and sane one in the family - a role he has excelled at. But on top of it all he got a big promotion this fall and his responsibilities at work have been huge. Outside of work he is still running lots, although he hasn't had a race in quite a while and I can see it messing with his running mojo. He's also been playing a lot of frisbee golf with friends as well as a little mountain biking. Austin is great for the outdoor pursuits. Dave also got a new truck this year, something he has been waiting for for a long time. Much deserved and a pretty sweet ride. He hasn't completely severed ties with the Del Sol, it still lives at our house and he's leasing it to my sister. Win/win situation as it gives Xandy a set of wheels and prevents Dave from having to sell his baby.

Tessa started 6th grade this year and she is completely rocking middle school. She has a lot more responsibility to get herself to school and stay on top of her school work, all of which she has handled magnificently. She is in choir and dance at school, loving them both immensely. She is still shy about singing in front of anyone, but she dances around the house almost always. I keep waiting for the emotional jag of hormones to set in, but she is still her easy going, friendly, and helpful self 98% of the time.

Sylvie is in 3rd grade this year and has really grown into herself. I thought being on her own without Tessa in elementary school plus the added change of after school care would make life pretty difficult for her, but she has adjusted wonderfully. She has recently blossomed with a crazy well developed intuition about and skill for math and her enthusiasm for it is a delight. We are on a hiatus for piano which Sylvie (and of course Tessa) is enjoying but I am determined to correct that sooner than later. Too much talent in this girl to let it go to waste.

Besides our little foursome, my mom and my sister Xandy moved to Austin this summer. My mom has an apartment a few minutes away and has been super helpful with picking up some of my slack since I started teaching. Tessa goes to her apartment most days after school and my mom is also generous enough to cook for us frequently and provides other general sanity boosts. Great having her here. Xandy is living with us while she attends Austin Community College (waiting to gain residency so she can transfer to UT) and works two jobs nearby. She is super easy to live with. Definitely easier than the last time I lived with her 17 years ago. Back then all she did was cry and poop in her diaper.

And then there's me. How could I possibly recap what this year has meant for me? It is definitely the biggest transformation I've undergone in pretty much forever. I've never felt so frazzled or worn thin. But still happy in a very different way. It is a source of much contemplation for me to witness how much of what I thought was my "self" fall away due to the constraints of time and stress. And to wonder if what is left is a new person or just more to the core of my true Self. Hopefully this is not a manifestation of my best self because I am sloppy and brash and as I have mentioned too many times before, mediocre. Maybe 2013 is when I will reassemble into something a little more polished. I have some more thoughts on what teaching has meant for my psyche but I think I'll save that for another post.

In more logistical terms, 2012 has had some good changes for me. I have expanded my social network as I work with some incredible and highly enjoyable people who have become great friends. 2012 saw me pick up quite a bit on the running front. To date I've logged 568 miles and there have been very few of them that I have hated. I am still slow, slow, slow, but that suits me just fine. I get up most mornings at 5:15 so I can run before school and while I hate the early rise and the fact that my runs are in pitch black, it keeps my sanity in check. Essential. Yoga has been one of the things I have had to sacrifice some on the alter of teaching, which is more than a little heartbreaking. But when I am able to make it on the mat I am amazed at how good my body still feels. All of the hard work I've put in over the past few years has not been lost thank goodness. I have also lost 25 pounds this year and that transformation has been a particularly pleasant one. The first half was due to hard work on my part but honestly, the last 10+ has been with zero effort since school started. Being on my feet all day combined with chronic stress has melted away the pounds. Reading has been another hobby lost, at least in part. I am still reading of course but lack of time and lack of attention has made it slow going. I hate that but it is what it must be for now.

So there it is, or at least the version of it in my head tonight, in too many words as per usual. Lest I forget, there were a few other big events of the year, namely my (hopefully annual) hike of the Grand Canyon, our lovely and epic road trip summer vacation, and my poor Cricket passing away this year. Last December feels like a lifetime ago. Who knows what lies ahead?


P.S. It is very unfair that for the few of you that make it all the way through this lengthy post there are no cute pictures to reward you for your diligence. I have become somewhat estranged from my camera as of late but I will do my best to repair relations in the new year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment