The Marriage Plot

2012/12/27

The Marriage PlotThe Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Even though I adored Middlesex, I told myself to leave that preconception aside when picking up this book. I had heard mixed reviews and wasn't sure what to expect, but I enjoyed it greatly. There are a few flaws - I didn't love the main female character and thought she was a little thinly drawn, but there was enough else in the novel to leave me satisfied.

What I loved:
I am always a sucker for two things: explorations of dysfunctional characters and relationships, and changes in POV to achieve that goal. This book gave me both and did it well. I liked the way the author shifted the timeline subtly to let you see the same experience from different characters' viewpoints.

What I learned:
Even though it's only a novel, I thought Eugenides did a good job in his treatment of Leonard's mental illness and it was both academically interesting to see it explored and had me empathetically drawn to his experience.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment