Cricket

2012/09/16

My poor sweet Cricket died early yesterday morning in his sleep. We are all a little heartbroken.

I got up around 3:30 because the dogs were begging to go outside. It is unusual for them to wake up in the middle of the night, but certainly not unheard of so I didn't think much of it. But Cricket's breathing was scary and I could tell something wasn't right. He has had labored breathing for some months now and his general health has deteriorated quite a bit, but this was something different. I let them outside to do their business and then made Cricket a more comfortable bed and stroked him a bit to make him more comfortable. Then I went back to bed. When I woke up at 6:30 to go running he was gone.

Telling my girls he was gone was among my most difficult parenting moments. They are dealing with their grief in very different ways, but needless to say it's been a somber weekend in our house.

Here we are in early 2007 the weekend we adopted him. (Which happens to coincide with one of the worst haircuts I've ever given, poor Sylvie.) Cricket had a lot of neurosis that drove me crazy, but he truly was the sweetest dog and loved his family fierce. Sylvie and I decided that he's in doggie heaven now eating all the ham he could dream of.




2 comments:

Karen said...

And I cry again ... the only solace ... well besides dogs go to heaven for sure, is that I KNOW he knew how much I loved him and we had a thang :) he and I. Always in my heart Crickie ...

Denise said...

:-( I'm so sad to hear you've lost sweet little Cricket. Probably the hardest part of having pets is losing them. Hugs to you and your family! We will always remember Cricket for his crazy hyper little moments! I still remember when you brought him home...what a good home you gave him for all these years! :-)

Post a Comment