The Pillars of the Earth

2012/07/23


The Pillars of the Earth  (The Pillars of the Earth, #1)The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wonderful story. I've been reading so many books lately that get me caught up in the language and symbolism that I forget how enjoyable it is to read a book just for a great story. This book is huge but I found it exceedingly readable and I was definitely swept along in the narrative.

What I loved:
Watching the story unfold with the multitude of characters and the long passage of time. I like epic works like this that really take a broad sweep. I felt like the characters had a slightly erroneous modern sensibility, but I suppose that made them more likable for me in the end so I forgave it.

What I learned:
There was definitely a fair bit in the book about architecture and cathedrals which honestly I could take or leave. I much more enjoyed the characters and how they intertwined. I'm not sure if this novel really gave me a good scope of what it was like to live in the 12th century because as I mentioned the characters all felt far too modern, but it was still a good read.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment