Enduring Love

2012/03/25


Enduring LoveEnduring Love by Ian McEwan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Loved this book on so many levels. McEwan is such a master of language and suspense. But where he really excels is in his description of human relationships and of the character and consequences of misunderstanding.

What I learned:
I was very intrigued by the undertones in the story that pit rationalism against emotion. The main character is an ardent believer in the rationality and infallibility of science where as his wife is a lover of literature and the more subtle nuance of emotion and the mess of life. The two played off of each other in a masterful way.

What I loved:
I loved the language as I always do in McEwan's books. The plot was immensely compelling and just enough suspense to keep me flying through the pages. Such a fascinating story. I love reading his descriptions of the characters' interpersonal interactions.

A favorite passage, there were so many but this one stood out:
I guessed her to be about fifty. The long straight hair was a last rope to the bollard of her youth. Failure had written in lines on Johnny's face, but with Daisy it was all in the downward curve of their mouth. Lately I've noticed these mouths in some women of my age. A lifetime of putting out, as they saw it, and getting nothing back. The men were bastards, the social contract unjust, and biology itself an affliction. The weight of all disappointment bent and locked these mouths into their downturn, a Cupid's bow of loss. At a glance it looked like disapproval, but the mouths told a deeper tale of regret, through their owners never guessed what was being said about them.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment