Who Do You Want To Be

2012/02/23

I've been firmly entrenched in new releases the past year or two and I'm sad to lose touch with all the albums that came before. So I've been making a bigger effort lately to go back and enjoy favorites from years gone by. Today I'm enjoying a little Oingo Boing and it reminded me of my very first concert.

I was pretty sheltered from music in my high school years as nothing was allowed in the house other than classical music. Unless you count my mom's old Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond records of course. Which I don't. There was of course music at school and dances so I wasn't completely oblivious to what was going on, but I didn't have much of a investment in developing personal taste. The very first cassettes I bought at the tail end of my senior year (this being the early/mid 1990s right before CDs hit large) were The Cranberries, Everybody Else is Doing it so Why Can't We? and U2's Joshua Tree. I felt like a woman of the world! I also remember at some point there being an unfortunate Chicago tape since many hours sent listening to Peter Cetera sing sappy love ballads had convinced me that they were awesome. Of course I was clueless so I bought one of their early albums in the bargain bin and didn't realize how different they sounded back then. Anyway, I digress.

I bought a CD walkman just as I was leaving for college in 1994. I remember paying something like $110 for it which is scandalously high by today's standards. And it gave me many, many good hours of listening pleasure. Especially during my janitorial hours cleaning the administration building at BYU. Good times. And *finally* back to the original point of my post, Best O'Boingo was one of those first CDs I bought in college and I loved that album dearly. Some roommates were going to their farewell concert and I jumped on board. A little late at nineteen for a first concert experience, but it was awesome enough to make up for it. How great is the $18 sticker price on my stub? CD players may have gotten cheaper but live music certainly has not.

1 comments:

Carli said...

Ahh... the hours spent cleaning the ASB. How I enjoyed the acoustics in the bathrooms. Great for singing. :)

P.S. I still LOVE sappy love songs sung by Peter Cetera.

Post a Comment