1Q84

2011/12/30


1Q841Q84 by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It is so hard for me to describe what I love about Murakami's books. I definitely do not recommend them unless you appreciate the bizarre. This one was slightly less surreal and fantastical than some of his other titles, but still had lots of his characteristic craziness. It is long enough that I had to pace myself rather than rush through it, but I really enjoyed it all the way through. The characters were intriguing and the plot was great. Wild and strange, but great.


I am a total sucker for a romance plot line with separated lovers struggling to be reunited. There is so much to be drawn from examining the characters. One of my favorite passages is near the end. I'd consider it something of a spoiler alert except I doubt anyone I know would want to read this book.


It was such a long time, Aomame thought.

It was such a long time, Tengo thought too. At the same time, though, he noticed how the twenty years that had passed now held no substance. it had passed by in an instant, and took but an instant to be filed in.

...Tengo once again keenly felt the mind's ability to relativize time. Twenty years was a long time. But Tengo knew that if he were to meet Aomame in another twenty years, he would feel the same way he did now. Even if they were both over fifty, he would still feel the same mix of excitement and confusion in her presence. His heart would be filed with the same joy and certainty.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

Jackijo said...

Thanks for the review. This book is actually on my list of books to read!

Ellis Shuman said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the book! I did as well. Perhaps it has more appeal to diehard Murakami fans, something I refer to in my own review of 1Q84.

Post a Comment