Tomatoes are the devil's fruit

2010/01/14

The topic for today is "foods I refused to eat as a kid". I'd have to have my parents verify this one, but I will claim to have been a moderately easy kid as far as diet is concerned. Although I was an exceedingly slow eater and remember this being an issue at the dinner table. But as far as picky eating goes, I did (and do) have one major items on my gag list. I absolutely despise raw tomatoes. I want (wish, wish) to like tomatoes, but let's be honest - they're just gross. But I've tried hard to get over my revulsion and while tomatoes in any form used to send me running, I have now expanded my taste and now enjoy stewed/canned tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, salsa, and even pico de gallo. But put a raw tomato slice on a burger (not that I eat burgers any more) and I can't even touch it even if the tomato is subsequently removed. Salads are a problem too since those evil tomato juices have a tendency to make themselves at home all over the once innocent greens. I think tomatoes loom so large in my head that there's not much else that I can think of that I hate to eat. I'm sure like all kids there were things that a more sophisticated palate would enjoy that I turned my nose up at, but nothing major comes to mind.

3 comments:

Karen said...

And I never knew another kid ever who loved mushrooms from the time they ate much of anything .. and still do. That's what I would call unique! (^_^)

Denise said...

You are crazy--tomatoes are the best! I love a nice big juicy one right out of the garden with a little salt on it yum! You are seriously missing out, but to each his/her own!

Miranda said...

I can't eat cashews or cooked bell peppers. Raw ones are fine, though. My husband, on the other hand, will eat meat, fruit and exactly five vegetables. That's it. Nothing more. It's unbelievable aggravating to attempt a healthy meal with those restrictions.

Post a Comment