Sink or Swim

2009/12/21

I became the defacto pianist for primary yesterday. This is a good thing but still a scary thing. We have had a really hard time finding a permanent pianist and I finally broke down and volunteered myself (I am actually the 1st counselor in the primary presidency). It's in exchange for no sharing time duty which I actually think is a pretty sweet deal.

I bought a piano in May and have been slowly but steadily remembering how to connect my fingers with my brain with the music written on the page. It's been a good 15 years since I've played and I wasn't ever really very good even back in the day. I am largely self taught and rather undisciplined. So I think I've made really good progress the past months and in the privacy of my own home I have been known to have a smug look on my face about how good I am. But in front of people when I can't stop to find a particular chord or play at whatever tempo I deem doable, I pretty much stink it up. A church calling playing piano is a dream gig of mine, but I really could have used another year to get up to speed. I guess that luxury won't be afforded me.

1 comments:

Naomi said...

Oh, I am so volunteering for this calling in our next primary. Now that I am well into my thirties, I can toss my hair and almost not care when people stare at each other and wonder why I agreed to a calling I couldn't really fulfill very well. Because who cares? At the end of it all, you will be a confident and proficient piano player.

Post a Comment