Suite Francaise

2009/04/07

Suite Française Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Such a beautiful book, full of so much humanity. I've read more than a handful of WWII books, but most were focused on the Holocaust - reading about the German occupation of France was new territory for me and Nemirovsky handled it in such a personal way. The book seems very fresh to me too - knowing that it's been hidden for decades after her death at Auschwitz adds such an interesting layer. Fantastic.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Ooh, I've been dying to read this one for a while. I tread carefully in books about the Holocaust, because the affect me profoundly.

Suzanne said...

The Daineses have set the reading bar for our house and Jacob gazes admirably at it...from a far distance.

Post a Comment