Nickel and Dimed

2009/04/13

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I completely loved this book. It was totally engaging and readable, but really informative as well (in a nice palatable narrative kind of way). I think it's overly easy to ignore the issue of low wage workers in this country. I appreciated the fact that she made me so stop and really take stock of my extremely comfortable and bubble wrapped life (but didn't make me feel guilty until the very end if that kind of thing would make you avoid reading it). Books like this should be required reading to help build a little compassion from the upper middle class.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Jackijo said...

It was required reading for my two children who both started NAU at the same time (John and Julie). Therefore I was introduced to it so I read it and really like it. One of the reasons I don't like shopping at Walmart anymore.

Suzanne said...

Jacob read this one a couple of years ago and it was actually profiled in one of my sociology textbooks. The disconnect between our nation's working poor and it's other social classes is appalling.

Post a Comment