The American Way of War

2009/03/04

The American Way of War: Guided Missiles, Misguided Men, and a Republic in Peril The American Way of War: Guided Missiles, Misguided Men, and a Republic in Peril by Eugene Jarecki


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed reading this book. I've never fancied myself very interested in history, but I really appreciated the approach this book took to give context on the current political climate and wars through the lens of the 20th century. I don't think it was entirely neat and cohesive in scope, and there were parts that I found more challenging due to my interest waning, but all in all very glad I read it. I'm looking forward to reading more history now. Made me want to know about other presidents and get better context for my political beliefs.



My favorite quote was one from Eisenhower's "Chance for Peace" speech:

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."


View all my reviews.

0 comments:

Post a Comment