The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

2008/12/31

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel by David Wroblewski


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book is a piece of fabulous story telling. I was swept in to the characters and enjoyed the narrative very much. The premise I found very interesting, both the Shakespearean parallels and the new and rather creative American setting. The only fault I found with the book was it stuck to the plot of Hamlet a little too closely. The suspense was somewhat mitigated by this fact. I was also more than a little bothered that the analogous character to Ophelia was portrayed by a dog. But still very enjoyable with some notable comments on language and friendship.


View all my reviews.

1 comments:

Miranda said...

Okay, you've proved to me that I've been "dumbed-down." I appreciated Wroblewski's excellent writing abilities, but absolutely hated the story. I had to force myself to finish it, all the while realizing that 10 years ago, I probably would have had enough patience to see what everyone else seems to see in this book.

Post a Comment